Warm and filling, authentic chicken tortilla soup warms the body and soul after a long simmer develops its savory flavor. Can you still make this tasty soup when you’re short on time? A slow cooker and some ready-made ingredients simmer it throughout the day, providing a flavorful meal by dinner time. Try Jeanette’s slow cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe for an effortless but satisfying meal after a busy winter day.
A Winter Dinner Winner: Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken breast, canned beans, and prepared salsa are just some of the ingredients that give Jeanette’s chicken tortilla soup excellent flavor. They also have the added benefits of cooking quickly and packing a healthy punch, making them an ideal weeknight dinner. Before we detail this simple recipe, here’s more on its nourishing benefits and how to pair it for a complete meal.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup Good For You?
This wholesome soup is not only full of flavor but nutrients as well, making it a healthy dinner choice for any night of the week.
Here are just some of the health benefits of chicken tortilla soup:
- Protein: Lean chicken breast is low in fat and high in muscle-building protein, with one breast providing almost 16 grams.
- Fiber: Black beans are rich in soluble fiber, lowering the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Antioxidants: A tomato-based salsa is full of antioxidants that reduce the risk of cancer. Tomatoes are also a valuable source of Vitamins A and C.
- Healthy, monounsaturated fat: Looking to amp up the nutrients even more? Top this flavorful soup with avocado for a healthy dose of monounsaturated fat, folic acid and Vitamins E and K.
Tortilla Soup Pairing Ideas
While it can be a satisfying meal all on its own, this versatile soup pairs excellently with a variety of other Mexican-inspired sides.
The following accompaniments can enhance chicken tortilla soup:
- Tacos, burritos or quesadillas: These hand-held favorites mirror the soup’s flavors or complement them with alternate fillings like cheese and beef. Quesadillas also provide the perfect option for dipping in the flavorful broth.
- Chips and guacamole: Instead of topping the soup, serve the tortilla chips on the side with guacamole for a hearty lunch or snack.
- Jalapeño cornbread: The gentle spice of this tasty cornbread can enhance the soup’s flavor and is also ideal for dipping.
- Mexican slaw: Shredded vegetables and cabbage enhance the nutrients of this healthy meal. Honey, lime juice, and a dash of hot sauce keep the dressing light but flavorful.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This easy chicken tortilla soup recipe is as simple as combining the ingredients in the slow cooker and turning it on. Can you use pre-cooked chicken for tortilla soup? Yes, you certainly can. Just be sure to add it during the last 10-15 minutes of simmering so it warms through without drying out.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 6-8 hours | Serves: 8-10
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa, mild or medium
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the salsa and chicken broth over them. Add the black beans, corn, taco seasoning, and lime juice and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or for 4-6 hours on HIGH. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, use two forks to shred the chicken and continue cooking. Serve with a variety of toppings such as tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, green onion, or cilantro.
The team at your local appliance repair service knows how a simple, nourishing meal is the perfect solution to a busy workday. Pair Jeanette’s chicken tortilla soup with her easy creamy corn casserole or use the slow cooker to try her easy potato soup recipe. End the day with brownies with cookie dough frosting for the perfect sweet treat.