Muffins brighten any table from a multicourse brunch to a simple breakfast, and a little lemon flavor adds the perfect spring touch. What’s the secret to bakery-style lemon muffins at home? Preheat the oven to a slightly lower temperature, increasing it to the correct setting after placing the muffins in the oven. This blast of heat creates the high, domed top we love best. Learn how to make Jeanette’s lemon crumb muffins recipe for a springtime celebration or a personal morning treat.
Mastering Lemon Crumb Muffins
Full of delicate lemon flavor, Jeanette’s lemon crumb muffins have the added indulgence of a sweet crumb topping and lemon glaze. Master this simple recipe with our baking tips that deliver professional-level muffins at home. But, first, have you ever wondered what makes these sugary treats any different from cake? Here are some key differences between muffins and this popular dessert.
Muffin vs Cake: What’s the Difference?
They’re both baked in the oven, have a similar texture, and are sweet with sugar. So, what distinguishes muffins from cake?
Here are some key differences between these two treats :
- Consistency: Muffins are considered a quickbread, in which wet and dry ingredients are usually mixed by hand, resulting in a heavier crumb. Cakes have a lighter consistency, formed by creaming butter and sugar together with a mixer.
- Topping: Cakes are often topped with frosting while muffins have no topping aside from a light glaze or crumble, like Jeanette’s lemon crumb recipe.
- Additions: Muffins can contain fruit, chocolate chips, or other additions while traditional layer cakes are flavored with liquids or extracts.
- Serving style: Cakes are larger and sliced into single servings while muffins are individually-sized.
Muffin Baking Tips
We’ve all experienced muffins that are dry, soggy, or dense in texture. How can these pitfalls be avoided with lemon muffins or other muffin recipes?
Follow these baking tips for perfect muffins every time:
- Avoid over-mixing: Too much mixing leads to dry, tough muffins. 10-12 stirs with a spoon or rubber spatula are all that’s necessary and any remaining lumps won’t affect the end result.
- Portion batter equally: Using an ice cream scoop to portion batter in your muffin tin guarantees that each is the same size.
- Mix in flour with your additions: When adding berries, chips, or nuts, mix a Tbsp of flour with your additions before pouring them in the batter. This keeps them from sinking to the bottom.
- Cool muffins upside down: After 5 minutes, remove muffins from the muffin tin and place them upside down on a cooling rack. This prevents the bottom from becoming soggy and shortening their shelf life.
Lemon Crumb Muffins Recipe
Lemon crumb muffins with lemon glaze are an easy mid-week breakfast that are perfect for enhancing any springtime breakfast or brunch. Plus, they’re full of tangy flavors from fresh lemon zest and juice.
Follow these steps to make Jeanette’s lemon crumb muffins:
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time: 20 minutes | Yields: 12 muffins
- 2 ¾ cups flour
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 1 large egg, plus 2 yolks
- ¾ c. milk
- 6 Tbsps butter, softened
- ⅓ c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ c. sugar
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. flour
- 6 Tbsp cold butter, diced
Preheat oven to 400℉ and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners. Combine crumb topping in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, and lemon extract. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and yolks, beating well after each addition. Add baking powder and salt. Alternate adding flour and milk, beating after each addition only until just combined. Divide batter into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over each muffin and bake for 20-22 minutes.
Lemon glaze: After muffins have cooled completely, combine 1 cup confectioners sugar with ½ teaspoon lemon extract and 2 Tbsps lemon juice. Drizzle over muffins.
The team at your local appliance service hopes these lemon crumb muffins brighten your day with their fresh, spring flavor. Looking for some easy brunch recipes that are perfect for springtime celebrating? Check out Jeanette’s berry orange spinach salad or strawberry cheesecake cookie cups to compliment your table.