This Fourth of July, show your patriotic spirit with this festive red, white and blue trifle! Layers of rich vanilla cake, fresh berries, and cream come together to create a dish that’s as pretty as it is delicious. Best of all, it can be easily tailored to fit any size party. So whether you’re hosting a small gathering or a large crowd, Jeanette’s patriotic berry trifle recipe is the perfect dessert to help you celebrate America’s birthday!
Patriotic Berry Trifle
Before we teach you how to make this red, white, and blueberry trifle, let’s talk more about what makes a trifle a trifle!
What Is a Trifle Dessert?
A trifle is a layered dessert that typically consists of cake or biscuits, fruit, custard or cream, and alcohol. While there are many variations of trifles, the classic English trifle usually contains sponge cake soaked in sherry, fruit, custard, and whipped cream. A berry trifle is a variation of the classic English trifle that contains berries instead of fruit.
Health Benefits of Berries?
Berries are not just delicious; they’re also packed with nutrients! Here are some of the health benefits of eating berries:
- Berries are a good source of fiber.
- Berries contain antioxidants.
- Berries may help improve heart health.
- Berries may help lower blood pressure.
So along with being delicious, berries are a great way to boost the nutrition of a dish!
Patriotic Berry Trifle Recipe
And without further ado, let’s get into one of our favorite recipes: the Patriotic Berry Trifle!
- ¼ cup sugar + ⅔ cup sugar (separated)
- Two 8 oz. packets softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- 2 pints blueberries
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 pints sliced strawberries
- 1 prepared angel food cake cut into 1 in. slices
- Heat one-fourth cup sugar, lemon juice, and one-fourth cup of water in a saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Brush both sides of each cake slice with syrup.
- Beat the separate two-thirds cup of sugar and all of the cream cheese. Add the cream and beat until it has the same texture as whip cream.
- In a shallow glass container, arrange half of the cake cubes. Top with a layer of blueberries.
- Spoon half of the cream cheese mixture over the blueberries. Cover with strawberries in a circular pattern.
- Top with the rest of the cake cubes, blueberries, and cream cheese mixture. Top with additional strawberries and blueberries at the end.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
And that’s it! Now you have a delicious layered berry dessert to enjoy with friends and family! We hope you enjoy this Patriotic Berry Trifle recipe with angel food cake, and don’t forget to check out more of our favorite recipes on the blog! Tag us on social media with your finished trifle, we love to see your photos! And if you’re having any issues with your appliances, Moore is the appliance service company you want to call!