As your local kitchen and laundry appliance service provider, our team at Moore Appliance Service often works long hours. That’s why a slow cooker meal is especially helpful on a busy workday. By prepping a few simple ingredients earlier in the day, you can cook a hot, tasty meal while you’re out and about. Jeanette’s sweet corn, sausage and rice slow cooker recipe delivers all that with a hearty, one-pot dinner perfect for any weeknight.
Sweet Corn, Sausage and Rice Slow Cooker Recipe: It’s What’s For Dinner
Crockpot sausage recipes are perfect for an easy weeknight meal. The ingredients can be prepared in advance and hold up to a low, slow cooking process while still retaining a rich flavor. In addition to our sweet corn, sausage and rice slow cooker recipe, we’ll review the types of sausage available at most grocery stores. We’ll also discuss some hidden health benefits of sausage that often get overlooked.
Different Types of Sausage
Jeanette’s sweet corn, sausage and rice slow cooker recipe uses ground sausage. While Kielbasa and bratwurst are typically served whole, other types lend themselves to being removed from their casings. This allows you to combine them as ground sausage to suit your tastes. Here are some different types of sausage that can lend a sweet, spicy or smoky flavor to ground sausage crockpot recipes:
- Andouille: This French sausage is a staple of Cajun cuisine with a spicy, smoky flavor. It’s typically pre-cooked, meaning it will quickly cook through when removed from its casing.
- Italian Sausage: Sweet Italian sausage will provide warm and toasty anise and garlic flavor to any dish. The hot variety provides heat from the addition of red pepper flakes.
- Chorizo: With its roots in Mexico, this spicy sausage gets its heat from chilies and a variety of spices. Typically it’s removed from its casing and sautéed for maximum flavor.
Is Sausage Good For You?
Generally speaking, consuming meats high in salt and saturated fats should be more of a treat than a daily staple. But pork sausage’s bad reputation isn’t necessarily accurate. Here are some vital nutrients that pork sausage can provide in sausage and rice recipes or served on its own:
- Protein: just a single serving provides you with 11g of this crucial muscle-builder
- Selenium: processed pork is full of this overlooked micronutrient that helps build a strong immune system
- Phosphorus: this mineral improves kidney function and helps repair tissue and cells
- Niacin: a vitamin essential to maintaining healthy teeth, hair, and skin
Jeanette’s Sweet Corn, Sausage and Rice Slow Cooker Recipe
This is one of those corn and sausage recipes that become a one-pot meal with the addition of rice. You can customize the heat with the type of sausage you choose and give the dish a rich creaminess with the addition of cheese. Either way, this sausage and rice slow cooker recipe brings comfort to the end of any busy workday!
- 1 lb. ground sausage, mild or hot
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 8 oz. pkg. Velveeta, cubed
- 1 (15 oz.) can creamed corn
- 1 (11 oz.) can Mexican corn, drained
- 3 c. Minute Rice, cooked
- 2 c. sharp shredded cheese
In a large skillet, brown sausage until cooked through. Drain grease and return to skillet. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cheese and stir until cheese melts. Pour mixture into the crock-pot and stir in cooked rice and all remaining ingredients except shredded cheese. Cook on LOW for 3 hours. Top with shredded cheese during the last 30 minutes of cook time, then enjoy!