Ready for something delicious but don’t feel like spending hours in the kitchen? This recipe for Jeanette’s slow cooker French dip sandwich is sure to hit the spot! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this sandwich is perfect for any occasion, and since it’s made in the slow cooker, it’s very light on work and not complicated at all. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
How to Make Jeanette’s Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
Want lunch or dinner that will hit the spot? Then you need to check out Jeanette’s slow cooker French dip sandwich recipe! This recipe is mouthwateringly good and so easy to make. But before we get started let’s look at what makes a French dip unique.
What Makes a French Dip a French Dip?
French dip was rumored to start in Los Angeles at Philippe the Original around 1908. The sandwich is made of thinly sliced roast beef on a French roll that is then dunked in au jus, which is a delicious gravy made from the meat’s drippings. It’s different than most sandwiches because it’s not meant to be eaten by itself, it’s only meant to be eaten with the au jus.
Why Use a Slow Cooker?
So, now that we know what a French dip is, let’s talk about why we’re using a slow cooker for this recipe. A slow cooker is a perfect way to cook the roast beef for this sandwich because it results in incredibly tender and flavorful meat. Additionally, using a slow cooker keeps the au jus warm and ready to go whenever you’re ready to assemble your sandwiches. Plus it’s one of the easiest ways to cook if you have some time to spare. Now that you have all the info, let’s learn how to make French dip sandwiches.
French Dip Sandwich Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 4-6 hours | Serves: 8-10
- 4 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can beef broth
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed beef consomme
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can French onion soup
- 8-10 French or Italian rolls
- 1 pkg. mozzarella, provolone, or swiss cheese, sliced
- Use a light layer of non-stick cooking spray on your slow cooker.
- Trim any excess fat from the roast.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, place 2 Tbsp. of oil.
- Add the roast and let it brown on both sides.
- Place the browned roast in the slow cooker.
- Stir together both of the soups and pour them over the roast.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and slice or shred.
- The broth left in the cooker is the au jus for dipping sandwiches. Don’t throw it away!
- Split rolls and place on baking sheet.
- Top with beef and cheese slices.
- Place in a preheated 400°F oven until cheese bubbles.
- Remove, dip, and enjoy!
There you have it, Jeanette’s Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe. Give this recipe a try today and enjoy a delicious and easy meal that the whole family will love! Bon appetit! And if you love it as much as we do, don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and check out our other recipes like our slow cooker sloppy joes recipe and our slow cooker potato soup recipe.
P.S. Don’t forget, if you ever need any help with your appliances, our top-rated appliance repair team is always here for you!