Spinach artichoke dip is an appetizer standout but can these popular flavors transform into a main course? Jeanette’s recipe for spinach artichoke stuffed chicken does just that with lean chicken breast stuffed with cheesy spinach and artichoke hearts. Learn how to convert this classic party starter into a cozy dinner that pleases every palate.
Recipe Restyle: Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast
Using frozen spinach, canned artichoke hearts and fast-cooking chicken breast keeps this dinner prep easy, making it an ideal weeknight meal. We’ll show you how it all comes together with the right sides that complement its rich, savory flavor. But, first, here are some of the hidden health benefits of spinach artichoke stuffed chicken.
Is Spinach Artichoke Chicken Healthy?
While the three-cheese sauce of spinach artichoke chicken is more indulgent than diet-friendly, that doesn’t mean it lacks nutrition. Spinach, artichokes, and chicken breast provide plenty of vitamins and nutrients that we need on a daily basis.
Here are some of the health benefits of spinach artichoke stuffed chicken:
Spinach & Artichokes:
- High in antioxidants: Reduces the risk of cancer, heart disease, and Type 2 diabetes.
- Nutrient-rich: Contains high amounts of Vitamins A, K, and C as well as folate.
- Natural source of fiber: Both spinach and artichokes contain high amounts of fiber that promote healthy metabolism and digestion.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits: Eating green, leafy vegetables like spinach and artichokes promotes cognitive health and reduces the risk of arthritis.
- Excellent source of lean protein: Chicken breast has no trans fat, and instead contains heart-healthy poly and monounsaturated fats.
- Full of nutrients: Chicken breast is made up of vitamins B and D as well as calcium, iron, and zinc.
What Goes Well With Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken?
Spinach and artichoke chicken goes well with a variety of side dishes that can complement or enhance its flavor. Pasta or rice are the perfect pairings for chicken and a rich, creamy sauce. Mashed or roasted potatoes can also be the perfect vehicle for cheesy filling.
Looking to lighten this deep and satisfying dish? Skip the potatoes and pasta in favor of riced cauliflower or zucchini noodles. A fresh lettuce salad adds to the leafy green benefits of spinach and artichoke while steamed green beans add crispness and texture.
Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
Chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke comes together quickly with a cook time of just 30 minutes. In under an hour, you can have a satisfying, delicious dinner that’s both a special treat and a healthy choice.
Here’s how to make Jeanette’s cheesy spinach artichoke stuffed chicken breast:
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen spinach, well-drained
- 1 (14 oz) can non-marinated artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 8 oz feta cheese
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 oz fresh Parmesan, grated
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp onion salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350℉.
Thaw spinach and chop artichokes. Extract as much liquid as possible from both and pat dry to prevent the sauce from being watery.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken breasts and olive oil.
Butterfly chicken breasts and generously salt and pepper all sides. Open each butterflied breast and fill with ¼ cup of the spinach artichoke mixture. Close each breast over the filling and secure with a toothpick.
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes per side. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until filling is melted and bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
Need more of Jeanette’s weeknight dinner solutions? Chicken Marsala and rice casserole is a satisfying one-pot dish while slow-cooker chicken and rice burrito bowls can be prepped in advance. For a simple dessert, mixed berry cobbler pie makes a sweet ending to a busy day.