There are many misconceptions about what foods should and what foods shouldn’t be refrigerated. Some people believe that you have to refrigerate everything, while others think that there are certain items that never need to go in the fridge. We’re here to dispel the myths and give you a list of foods that you definitely don’t need to refrigerate!
What Foods Shouldn’t Be Refrigerated
Some of these foods may surprise you, but we promise there’s a good reason why they don’t need to be refrigerated. Let’s look at what foods shouldn’t be refrigerated.
– Bananas: Bananas should not be stored in the fridge because the cold temperature will stop them from ripening. If your bananas are getting too ripe, you can store them in the fridge for the last couple of days.
– Bread: Keeping bread in the fridge can slow mold a little bit, but it will make it go stale faster and change the texture. Room temperature for the short term or in the freezer for the long term are both better options.
– Tropical fruits: Fruits like mangoes, papayas, and pineapples should not be refrigerated until they’re ripe. The fridge will stop them from ripening properly and can affect the texture.
– Honey: Honey doesn’t need to be refrigerated because it has natural antibacterial properties. If you refrigerate it, it will crystallize.
– Tomatoes: Tomatoes are on our list of what foods don’t go in the fridge because refrigerating tomatoes will cause them to lose some of their flavors and get mealy. It’s best to keep them at room temperature on the counter.
– Whole melons: Watermelons, cantaloupes, and honeydews should not be refrigerated until they’re cut. The fridge will make them lose their flavor and can also affect the texture.
– Onions: Onions don’t need to be refrigerated, and they will likely get mushy in the fridge. They should be stored in a cool, dry place.
– Potatoes: Storing potatoes in the fridge will make them mushy when cooked. It’s best to keep them in a dark, cool pantry.
What Foods Should Be Refrigerated
As you know, almost everything perishable should be put in the fridge. We won’t go over each of those items, but there are some foods that should always be stored in the fridge that you may not expect. Let’s go over some of the more surprising items that should go in the fridge here.
– Natural peanut butter: Natural peanut butter has no preservatives and can go bad at room temperature, so it’s best to keep it in the fridge.
– Salami: Salami is a cured meat that can last for weeks at room temperature, but it will last even longer in the fridge.
– Ketchup: Ketchup can technically be stored at room temperature, but it will last much longer in the fridge.
– Opened wine: This can be surprising because most wine doesn’t start in the fridge, but once a bottle of wine is opened, it should be refrigerated to keep it drinkable for a few extra days.
– Corn on the cob: Corn on the cob should be refrigerated as soon as you buy it. The flavor can start to degrade at room temperature. But the flavor will last up to a week in the fridge.
As you can see, there are some surprising entries on each list, but by following these guidelines of what foods shouldn’t be refrigerated and what foods shoud, you can ensure that your food stays fresh for as long as possible! For more tips take a look at our other blogs like our blog on cleaning a stinky fridge or our guide on stopping a refrigerator leak. And for any other issues, you can always call the expert refrigerator repair team at Moore Appliance!